Brief History – Milestones
H.O.P.E. has been proudly delivering mental health peer support and employment services in Brant County for over 20 years.
1991 CMHA Brant opens ‘Quick Bite Catering & Take Out’
- Social worker hired as project manager.
- Psychosocial rehabilitation focused training & work-related life skills provided.
- Long-term employment at minimum wage.
- Funding received – 2 consumer assistant managers hired.
- Advisory Committee established (management, consumers & members of business community) meeting monthly.
1993 Begin operating as an independent Consumer Survivor Initiative (CSI)
- Brantford Vocational Training Association incorporated (BVTA).
- Quick Bite business divested from CMHA to BVTA.
- Independent Board of Directors established – consumers play a more directive role.
- Business included catering and restaurant sales employing 18 to 20 consumers.
1998 One year HRDC grant received to support consumer initiatives
- Brant Mainstream Mental Health Wellness Network established.
- ‘Kindred Spirits’ peer support group organized and ran for one year.
1999 CMHA Brant asked to provide sponsorship to BVTA
- Program Advisory Committee established to provide advice to CMHA Board
2000 Brantford Vocational Training Association receives Trillium Grant
- One-to-one peer support services offered to clients leaving hospital
- Part-time coordinator hired
- Volunteer peer support training initiated (part of research project)
2003 Quick Bite closed due to budget short-falls
- Director of Business Development hired to develop new businesses
2004 New profitable businesses were opened
- QuickKlean cleaning business established in 2004, expanded to include moving services
2006 BVTA part of regional CSI network – input to HNHB LHIN on consumer issues
- Peer support workers expanded to four
- Established agreement with Brant Community Healthcare System to provide one-on-one peer support to inpatients – WE CARE
2009 Decision made to rename BVTA to Helping Ourselves through Peer Support & Employment (HOPE)
- Started delivering Special Events
2010 QuickKlean expanded to include re-sale store
- Program Manager becomes OPDI certified peer support trainer.
2011 Name officially change to H.O.P.E.
2013 Strategic planning process sets 5 year direction.
2015 Started “After Hours” Saturday afternoon peer support Drop-In at Phoenix Place.